Carl and Margaret Daniel opened this station shortly after Carl returned from World War II. The station, a landmark on K-4 Highway, was located at the intersection of K-4 and Southwest Glick Road. The Native Stone Scenic Byway begins at this spot. Photo courtesy Margaret Daniel
This real photo postcard, circa 1910, shows K-4 Highway looking north at the Mission Creek Valley. The creek crosses K-4 about a mile north of Dover. Notice that K-4 was not paved when this photo was taken. Photo courtesy Greg Hoots.
Walter Black, left and Ed Fisher, proprietor of the Southwest Trail Garage pose for this 1930s photo. The garage, built by Arthur Bowker, was located at the site of Maple Hill Fire District No. 4’s station, today. Photo Courtesy Chester Todd.
Alfred Sage, front right, and other unidentified family members pose in the yard of the Sage Inn in Dover, Kansas. Photo courtesy Joann Hepworth.
This Sinclair Station, built by Arthur Bowker in 1928, was being operated by Marvin Gurtler when this photo was taken in the late 1930s The station is located at the intersection of K-4 Highway and Southwest Douglass Road in Dover, Kansas.
In the 1880s, Alf Sage constructed this building which he called Sommerset Hall and used as a store building. In 1902, the Odd Fellows lodge moved into the upstairs, and the organization purchased the building in 1905.
J. W. Winter & Son store was located on Southwest 57th Street in Dover, Kansas. The store was freshly painted when this real photo postcard was created in about 1910. Photo Courtesy Michael Stubbs.
The Dover State Bank was located on Southwest 57th Street in Dover, Kansas, next door to Winter’s store. Photo Courtesy Greg Hoots.
The old District 15 school at Dover, Kansas was photographed for this real photo postcard, circa 1910. Photo Courtesy Greg Hoots.
The District 15 School was located on Southwest Douglas Road in Dover, Kansas, one-quarter of a mile south of K-4 Highway. Today this is a private residence. Photo Courtesy Chester Todd.
This real photo postcard view of the new concrete bridge at Dover, Kansas, looking east, was taken shortly after the bridge’s completion, circa 1924. Notice the small steel bridge just beyond the new bridge. Photo Courtesy Greg Hoots.
Dover, Kansas is located on Kansas Highway 4 in the southwest corner of Shawnee County, just a half-mile east of the Wabaunsee County line. Dover has long been a trading center for residents of southeast Wabaunsee County.