The Modoc Hotel was built by the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railway in 1912 after the Rock Island Eating House burned in February of 1911. Built at a cost of $105,000, the hotel featured fine dining and 26 guest rooms, and the building had electricity furnished by the railroad five years before the City of McFarland enjoyed that luxury. The Modoc was demolished after the closing of the railroad switching yards in 1954.
Baseball teams from McFarland, Kansas and Maple Hill, Kansas shared a porch for this view by Alta Vista photographer, W.A. McCoy, circa 1900. McFarland team owner, Dr. C.R. Silverthorne and team member Paul Schmanke are identified in ink with arrows on the photo.
This view of the Rock Island Eating House at McFarland dates from the early 1900s, not long before the building burned in February of 1911. The railroad constructed the Modoc Hotel to replace this structure.
Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad Roundhouse Gang, McFarland, Kansas This view of the Rock Island roundhouse gang was taken in the early 1900s at the McFarland, Kansas roundhouse. The roundhouse was demolished and replaced with a diesel maintenance building in 1953, and that building was moved to Belleville, Kansas in 1955 as the CRIP presence in McFarland continued to shrink.
John Winkler, an early Wabaunsee County hotel owner and his children pose for a photograph on the porch of the Denver House Hotel at McFarland, circa 1900. The Winklers, seated left to right are Arthur, Emelie, John, Augusta and Robert; standing Pauline (Lena) and Otto (Dick).
This large-format photograph of McFarland, Kansas, taken from the hill south of town, reveals the “T-town” layout of the town, with the streets running parallel and perpendicular to the railroad line. The Rock Island railroad yards stretch the entire length of the photograph, with the Modoc Hotel visible at the far right side.
August Hansen stands next to his McFarland Dairy delivery wagon in this view circa 1900.
This real photo postcard, circa 1911, shows the Ringel family in front of their building located at 106 East Market Street in McFarland, Kansas.
This real photo postcard shows a group of men standing in front of the H.W. Heine Livery and Feed Barn, located at 203 East Market Street in McFarland, Kansas.
The roundhouse gang poses in front of the McFarland, Kansas roundhouse in this Gus Meier photo from about 1910. With the discontinued use of steam locomotives, the roundhouse was demolished in 1953 and a diesel maintenance building constructed on the site. The new building was moved to Belleville, Kansas in 1955.
A group of men are seen standing in front of the Lunch & Short Order Café in McFarland, Kansas. Four men are identified, from right to left, Bill Mueller, August Mueller, Jr., Louis Mueller, and J.J. (Dick) Mueller.
Charles Thornburg, center, and two unidentified workers stand behind the pastry cases in Thornburg’s bakery in McFarland, Kansas.
This view of Roark’s Tiny Café was taken in 1934. The building was located at 106 East Market Street on the now-vacant lot next to the post office. This building was demolished in the 1960s.
This Hilscher Photo view of the coal chute in the CRIP yards at McFarland shows a load of coal dumped into an open coal car. The coal chute was constructed in 1922. The five men seen in the photo are identified, left to right as Tony Salazar, Clint Davis, Clyde Forinash, Hy Sadler and Mac Donnley.