{"id":480,"date":"2016-10-24T01:56:11","date_gmt":"2016-10-24T05:56:11","guid":{"rendered":"http:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/?p=480"},"modified":"2026-08-24T12:09:42","modified_gmt":"2026-08-24T17:09:42","slug":"harveyville","status":"publish","type":"post","link":"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/?p=480","title":{"rendered":"Harveyville"},"content":{"rendered":"\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">Harveyville, Kansas was founded in 1880 by the Atchison, Topeka &amp; Santa Fe Railway, who platted the town with the completion of the ATSF-owned Manhattan, Alma &amp; Burlingame Railroad.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">There had been settlers living in the general area of Harveyville for some 25 years before the town was formed. Henry Harvey and his sons homesteaded land on Dragoon Creek in 1854, not long after the creation of the Kansas Territory.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image alignnone size-full wp-image-1371\"><img data-recalc-dims=\"1\" loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"1800\" height=\"1418\" data-attachment-id=\"1371\" data-permalink=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/?attachment_id=1371\" data-orig-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/harris-house-01.jpg?fit=1800%2C1418&amp;ssl=1\" data-orig-size=\"1800,1418\" data-comments-opened=\"1\" data-image-meta=\"{&quot;aperture&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;credit&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;camera&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;caption&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;created_timestamp&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;copyright&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;focal_length&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;iso&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;shutter_speed&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;title&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;orientation&quot;:&quot;1&quot;}\" data-image-title=\"harris-house-01\" data-image-description=\"&lt;p&gt;Harris Farm, Harveyville, Kansas&lt;\/p&gt;\n\" data-image-caption=\"&lt;p&gt;The Harris farm in Harveyville was a notable stop on the Underground Railroad and contained a secret tunnel. &lt;\/p&gt;\n\" data-large-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/harris-house-01.jpg?fit=1024%2C807&amp;ssl=1\" src=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/harris-house-01.jpg?resize=1800%2C1418&#038;ssl=1\" alt=\"harris-house-01\" class=\"wp-image-1371\"\/><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">The Harris farm in Harveyville was a notable stop on the Underground Railroad and contained a secret tunnel.<\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">In 1855, I. M. Harris staked a claim near today\u2019s Harveyville, and later that year Morris Walton established his farm nearby. Gradually, more settlers arrived in the area, yet without the benefit of a railroad to bring in goods and ship products, growth was very slow.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image alignnone size-full wp-image-1372\"><img data-recalc-dims=\"1\" loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"1472\" height=\"2235\" data-attachment-id=\"1372\" data-permalink=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/?attachment_id=1372\" data-orig-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/isaiah-harris.jpg?fit=1472%2C2235&amp;ssl=1\" data-orig-size=\"1472,2235\" data-comments-opened=\"1\" data-image-meta=\"{&quot;aperture&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;credit&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;camera&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;caption&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;created_timestamp&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;copyright&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;focal_length&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;iso&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;shutter_speed&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;title&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;orientation&quot;:&quot;1&quot;}\" data-image-title=\"isaiah-harris\" data-image-description=\"&lt;p&gt;Isaiah M. Harris&lt;\/p&gt;\n\" data-image-caption=\"&lt;p&gt;Isaiah M. Harris staked his homestead claim at Harveyville in 1855. &lt;\/p&gt;\n\" data-large-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/isaiah-harris.jpg?fit=674%2C1024&amp;ssl=1\" src=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/isaiah-harris.jpg?resize=1472%2C2235&#038;ssl=1\" alt=\"isaiah-harris\" class=\"wp-image-1372\"\/><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">Isaiah M. Harris staked his homestead claim at Harveyville in 1855.<\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">Harveyville became a not-so-official stop on the Underground Railroad, and the Harris house had a secret tunnel for the inconspicuous movement of slaves to their freedom.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">When the MA&amp;B railroad was to be constructed, everyone, including the folks at nearby Wilmington hoped that the railroad would come their way.&nbsp; But, again, the railroad chose property that suited its purposes.&nbsp; It is often claimed in various instances that less-than-fair methods were used by some towns in Wabaunsee County to attract one of the two railroads that came to the county in the 1880s. Little evidence exists to suggest anything other than the railroad planning the location of towns and the route of their rail line based on what was most profitable for them.&nbsp; If a town had something special to offer, such as Alma having the county seat, then the railroad would plan their line to intersect the town. In other cases, Eskridge, for example, it financially benefited the railroad to plat the town on land that they already owned, so it was the town that had to move to the railroad\u2019s chosen location. Such, too, was the case at Harveyville.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image alignnone size-full wp-image-486\"><img data-recalc-dims=\"1\" loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"1800\" height=\"1324\" data-attachment-id=\"486\" data-permalink=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/?attachment_id=486\" data-orig-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/harveyville-business-dist-from-elevator-copy.jpg?fit=1800%2C1324&amp;ssl=1\" data-orig-size=\"1800,1324\" data-comments-opened=\"1\" data-image-meta=\"{&quot;aperture&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;credit&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;camera&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;caption&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;created_timestamp&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;copyright&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;focal_length&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;iso&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;shutter_speed&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;title&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;orientation&quot;:&quot;1&quot;}\" data-image-title=\"Harveyville, Kansas Business District\" data-image-description=\"\" data-image-caption=\"&lt;p&gt;This 1910s view of Harveyville shows the business district of the town in a bird\u2019s-eye view of the town taken from atop the grain elevator. &lt;\/p&gt;\n\" data-large-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/harveyville-business-dist-from-elevator-copy.jpg?fit=1024%2C753&amp;ssl=1\" src=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/harveyville-business-dist-from-elevator-copy.jpg?resize=1800%2C1324&#038;ssl=1\" alt=\"Harveyville, Kansas Business District\" class=\"wp-image-486\"\/><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">This 1910s view of Harveyville shows the business district of the town in a bird\u2019s-eye view of the town taken from atop the grain elevator.<\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">Harveyville was incorporated in 1905 and in 1910 the population was 331. The 1912 Cyclopedia of Kansas reported that Harveyville had an ATSF railroad depot, a bank, Post Office, telegraph and express office, a newspaper, several mercantile stores, two churches, a grain elevator and a public school.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">Click on any photo to view all images in a gallery format.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-gallery has-nested-images columns-3 is-cropped wp-block-gallery-1 is-layout-flex wp-block-gallery-is-layout-flex\">\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image size-large\"><a scr=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/brown-service-interior-1955-a-copy.jpg\"><img data-recalc-dims=\"1\" loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"1800\" height=\"1462\" data-attachment-id=\"482\" data-permalink=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/?attachment_id=482\" data-orig-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/brown-service-interior-1955-a-copy.jpg?fit=1800%2C1462&amp;ssl=1\" data-orig-size=\"1800,1462\" data-comments-opened=\"1\" data-image-meta=\"{&quot;aperture&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;credit&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;camera&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;caption&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;created_timestamp&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;copyright&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;focal_length&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;iso&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;shutter_speed&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;title&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;orientation&quot;:&quot;1&quot;}\" data-image-title=\"Interior View Brown\u2019s Service Station, Harveyville, Kansas\" data-image-description=\"\" data-image-caption=\"&lt;p&gt;This interior view of Brown\u2019s Service Station at Harveyville, Kansas shows Paul Brown, Ross Brown and Marie Brown in the tire repair area of the shop. This photo is dated October 30, 1955.&lt;\/p&gt;\n\" data-large-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/brown-service-interior-1955-a-copy.jpg?fit=1024%2C832&amp;ssl=1\" data-id=\"482\" src=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/brown-service-interior-1955-a-copy.jpg?resize=1800%2C1462&#038;ssl=1\" alt=\"Interior View Brown\u2019s Service Station, Harveyville, Kansas\" class=\"wp-image-482\"\/><\/a><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">This interior view of Brown\u2019s Service Station at Harveyville, Kansas shows Paul Brown, Ross Brown and Marie Brown in the tire repair area of the shop. This photo is dated October 30, 1955.<\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image size-large\"><a scr=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/brown-station-gas-pumps-1955-01-a-copy.jpg\"><img data-recalc-dims=\"1\" loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"1800\" height=\"1513\" data-attachment-id=\"483\" data-permalink=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/?attachment_id=483\" data-orig-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/brown-station-gas-pumps-1955-01-a-copy.jpg?fit=1800%2C1513&amp;ssl=1\" data-orig-size=\"1800,1513\" data-comments-opened=\"1\" data-image-meta=\"{&quot;aperture&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;credit&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;camera&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;caption&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;created_timestamp&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;copyright&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;focal_length&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;iso&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;shutter_speed&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;title&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;orientation&quot;:&quot;1&quot;}\" data-image-title=\"Ross Brown Oil Company, Harveyville, Kansas\" data-image-description=\"\" data-image-caption=\"&lt;p&gt;Ross Brown, left and his son, Paul Brown, far right, wash customers\u2019 windows while Marie Brown, center, fills a car with gas at the Ross Brown Oil Company in Harveyville, Kansas.  This photograph is dated October 30, 1955. &lt;\/p&gt;\n\" data-large-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/brown-station-gas-pumps-1955-01-a-copy.jpg?fit=1024%2C861&amp;ssl=1\" data-id=\"483\" src=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/brown-station-gas-pumps-1955-01-a-copy.jpg?resize=1800%2C1513&#038;ssl=1\" alt=\"Ross Brown Oil Company, Harveyville, Kansas\" class=\"wp-image-483\"\/><\/a><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">Ross Brown, left and his son, Paul Brown, far right, wash customers\u2019 windows while Marie Brown, center, fills a car with gas at the Ross Brown Oil Company in Harveyville, Kansas.  This photograph is dated October 30, 1955. <\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image size-large\"><a scr=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/brown-station-pumps-1955-02-a-copy.jpg\"><img data-recalc-dims=\"1\" loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"1800\" height=\"1500\" data-attachment-id=\"484\" data-permalink=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/?attachment_id=484\" data-orig-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/brown-station-pumps-1955-02-a-copy.jpg?fit=1800%2C1500&amp;ssl=1\" data-orig-size=\"1800,1500\" data-comments-opened=\"1\" data-image-meta=\"{&quot;aperture&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;credit&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;camera&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;caption&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;created_timestamp&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;copyright&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;focal_length&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;iso&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;shutter_speed&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;title&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;orientation&quot;:&quot;1&quot;}\" data-image-title=\"Ross Brown Oil Company Derby Gas Station\" data-image-description=\"\" data-image-caption=\"&lt;p&gt;Marie Brown, left, fills a customer\u2019s car with fuel while Paul Brown washes the rear window of a car at the Ross Brown Oil Company\u2019s Derby Gas Station at Harveyville, Kansas. This photograph is dated October 30, 1955. &lt;\/p&gt;\n\" data-large-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/brown-station-pumps-1955-02-a-copy.jpg?fit=1024%2C853&amp;ssl=1\" data-id=\"484\" src=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/brown-station-pumps-1955-02-a-copy.jpg?resize=1800%2C1500&#038;ssl=1\" alt=\"Ross Brown Oil Company Derby Gas Station\" class=\"wp-image-484\"\/><\/a><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">Marie Brown, left, fills a customer\u2019s car with fuel while Paul Brown washes the rear window of a car at the Ross Brown Oil Company\u2019s Derby Gas Station at Harveyville, Kansas. This photograph is dated October 30, 1955. <\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image size-large\"><a scr=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/harveyville-business-dist-c1910-copy.jpg\"><img data-recalc-dims=\"1\" loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"1800\" height=\"1109\" data-attachment-id=\"485\" data-permalink=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/?attachment_id=485\" data-orig-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/harveyville-business-dist-c1910-copy.jpg?fit=1800%2C1109&amp;ssl=1\" data-orig-size=\"1800,1109\" data-comments-opened=\"1\" data-image-meta=\"{&quot;aperture&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;credit&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;camera&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;caption&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;created_timestamp&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;copyright&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;focal_length&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;iso&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;shutter_speed&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;title&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;orientation&quot;:&quot;1&quot;}\" data-image-title=\"Joe McClure, General Merchandise, Harveyville, Kansas &amp;#8211; c.1910\" data-image-description=\"\" data-image-caption=\"&lt;p&gt;This real photo postcard, circa 1910, shows a view of Joe McClure\u2019s General Merchandise store in Harveyville, Kansas. A livery stable is located just behind McClure\u2019s store. &lt;\/p&gt;\n\" data-large-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/harveyville-business-dist-c1910-copy.jpg?fit=1024%2C631&amp;ssl=1\" data-id=\"485\" src=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/harveyville-business-dist-c1910-copy.jpg?resize=1800%2C1109&#038;ssl=1\" alt=\"Joe McClure, General Merchandise, Harveyville, Kansas - c.1910\" class=\"wp-image-485\"\/><\/a><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">This real photo postcard, circa 1910, shows a view of Joe McClure\u2019s General Merchandise store in Harveyville, Kansas. A livery stable is located just behind McClure\u2019s store. <\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image size-large\"><a scr=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/harveyville-business-dist-from-elevator-copy.jpg\"><img data-recalc-dims=\"1\" loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"1800\" height=\"1324\" data-attachment-id=\"486\" data-permalink=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/?attachment_id=486\" data-orig-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/harveyville-business-dist-from-elevator-copy.jpg?fit=1800%2C1324&amp;ssl=1\" data-orig-size=\"1800,1324\" data-comments-opened=\"1\" data-image-meta=\"{&quot;aperture&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;credit&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;camera&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;caption&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;created_timestamp&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;copyright&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;focal_length&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;iso&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;shutter_speed&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;title&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;orientation&quot;:&quot;1&quot;}\" data-image-title=\"Harveyville, Kansas Business District\" data-image-description=\"\" data-image-caption=\"&lt;p&gt;This 1910s view of Harveyville shows the business district of the town in a bird\u2019s-eye view of the town taken from atop the grain elevator. &lt;\/p&gt;\n\" data-large-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/harveyville-business-dist-from-elevator-copy.jpg?fit=1024%2C753&amp;ssl=1\" data-id=\"486\" src=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/harveyville-business-dist-from-elevator-copy.jpg?resize=1800%2C1324&#038;ssl=1\" alt=\"Harveyville, Kansas Business District\" class=\"wp-image-486\"\/><\/a><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">This 1910s view of Harveyville shows the business district of the town in a bird\u2019s-eye view of the town taken from atop the grain elevator. <\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image size-large\"><a scr=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/harveyville-depot-last-train-old-polly-copy.jpg\"><img data-recalc-dims=\"1\" loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"1800\" height=\"1805\" data-attachment-id=\"487\" data-permalink=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/?attachment_id=487\" data-orig-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/harveyville-depot-last-train-old-polly-copy.jpg?fit=1800%2C1805&amp;ssl=1\" data-orig-size=\"1800,1805\" data-comments-opened=\"1\" data-image-meta=\"{&quot;aperture&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;credit&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;camera&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;caption&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;created_timestamp&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;copyright&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;focal_length&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;iso&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;shutter_speed&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;title&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;orientation&quot;:&quot;1&quot;}\" data-image-title=\"Atchison, Topeka &amp;amp; Santa Fe Train Leaves Station for Last Time\" data-image-description=\"\" data-image-caption=\"&lt;p&gt;Atchison, Topeka &amp;amp; Santa Fe locomotive 2761, known as \u201cOld Polly\u201d leaves the ATSF depot in Harveyville for the final time in this 1974 view taken on the last day of service for the line. &lt;\/p&gt;\n\" data-large-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/harveyville-depot-last-train-old-polly-copy.jpg?fit=1021%2C1024&amp;ssl=1\" data-id=\"487\" src=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/harveyville-depot-last-train-old-polly-copy.jpg?resize=1800%2C1805&#038;ssl=1\" alt=\"Atchison, Topeka &amp; Santa Fe Train Leaves Station for Last Time\" class=\"wp-image-487\"\/><\/a><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">Atchison, Topeka &amp; Santa Fe locomotive 2761, known as \u201cOld Polly\u201d leaves the ATSF depot in Harveyville for the final time in this 1974 view taken on the last day of service for the line. <\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image size-large\"><a scr=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/harveyville-elevator-office-interior.jpg\"><img data-recalc-dims=\"1\" loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"1800\" height=\"1211\" data-attachment-id=\"489\" data-permalink=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/?attachment_id=489\" data-orig-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/harveyville-elevator-office-interior.jpg?fit=1800%2C1211&amp;ssl=1\" data-orig-size=\"1800,1211\" data-comments-opened=\"1\" data-image-meta=\"{&quot;aperture&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;credit&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;camera&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;caption&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;created_timestamp&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;copyright&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;focal_length&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;iso&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;shutter_speed&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;title&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;orientation&quot;:&quot;1&quot;}\" data-image-title=\"Interior View of the Harveyville Grain Elevator\" data-image-description=\"\" data-image-caption=\"&lt;p&gt;This interior view of the Harveyville grain elevator shows three men inside the elevator office. While the men are not individually identified, an attached caption indicates that Clarence and Charles Cox are two of them men. &lt;\/p&gt;\n\" data-large-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/harveyville-elevator-office-interior.jpg?fit=1024%2C689&amp;ssl=1\" data-id=\"489\" src=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/harveyville-elevator-office-interior.jpg?resize=1800%2C1211&#038;ssl=1\" alt=\"Interior View of the Harveyville Grain Elevator\" class=\"wp-image-489\"\/><\/a><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">This interior view of the Harveyville grain elevator shows three men inside the elevator office. While the men are not individually identified, an attached caption indicates that Clarence and Charles Cox are two of them men. <\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image size-large\"><a scr=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/harveyville-lumber-co-1912-a-copy.jpg\"><img data-recalc-dims=\"1\" loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"1800\" height=\"1117\" data-attachment-id=\"490\" data-permalink=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/?attachment_id=490\" data-orig-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/harveyville-lumber-co-1912-a-copy.jpg?fit=1800%2C1117&amp;ssl=1\" data-orig-size=\"1800,1117\" data-comments-opened=\"1\" data-image-meta=\"{&quot;aperture&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;credit&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;camera&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;caption&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;created_timestamp&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;copyright&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;focal_length&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;iso&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;shutter_speed&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;title&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;orientation&quot;:&quot;1&quot;}\" data-image-title=\"Harveyville Lumber Co., Harveyville, Kansas\" data-image-description=\"\" data-image-caption=\"&lt;p&gt;This crew of Harveyville, Kansas men appears to be ready for work in this 1912 real photo postcard. From left to right are Victor Grigsby, Walter Grigsby, C.L. Bogard, Reece Haller, and Ray Connley. Harveyville Lumber Company is visible in the background. &lt;\/p&gt;\n\" data-large-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/harveyville-lumber-co-1912-a-copy.jpg?fit=1024%2C635&amp;ssl=1\" data-id=\"490\" src=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/harveyville-lumber-co-1912-a-copy.jpg?resize=1800%2C1117&#038;ssl=1\" alt=\"Harveyville Lumber Co., Harveyville, Kansas\" class=\"wp-image-490\"\/><\/a><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">This crew of Harveyville, Kansas men appears to be ready for work in this 1912 real photo postcard. From left to right are Victor Grigsby, Walter Grigsby, C.L. Bogard, Reece Haller, and Ray Connley. Harveyville Lumber Company is visible in the background. <\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image size-large\"><a scr=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/harveyville-railroad-building-c1880-copy.jpg\"><img data-recalc-dims=\"1\" loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"1800\" height=\"1172\" data-attachment-id=\"491\" data-permalink=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/?attachment_id=491\" data-orig-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/harveyville-railroad-building-c1880-copy.jpg?fit=1800%2C1172&amp;ssl=1\" data-orig-size=\"1800,1172\" data-comments-opened=\"1\" data-image-meta=\"{&quot;aperture&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;credit&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;camera&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;caption&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;created_timestamp&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;copyright&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;focal_length&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;iso&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;shutter_speed&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;title&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;orientation&quot;:&quot;1&quot;}\" data-image-title=\"Railroad Construction at Harveyville, Kansas &amp;#8211; c.1880\" data-image-description=\"\" data-image-caption=\"&lt;p&gt;The Manhattan, Burlingame &amp;amp; Alma Railway was completed as far north as Alma and the first trains began to run on the line on July 5, 1880. This photo shows men driving the last spike at the Harveyville station, and has an attached caption that misidentifies the date as 1898.&lt;\/p&gt;\n\" data-large-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/harveyville-railroad-building-c1880-copy.jpg?fit=1024%2C667&amp;ssl=1\" data-id=\"491\" src=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/harveyville-railroad-building-c1880-copy.jpg?resize=1800%2C1172&#038;ssl=1\" alt=\"Railroad Construction at Harveyville, Kansas - c.1880\" class=\"wp-image-491\"\/><\/a><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">The Manhattan, Burlingame &amp; Alma Railway was completed as far north as Alma and the first trains began to run on the line on July 5, 1880. This photo shows men driving the last spike at the Harveyville station, and has an attached caption that misidentifies the date as 1898.<\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image size-large\"><a scr=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/harveyville-st-scene-1-c1914-copy.jpg\"><img data-recalc-dims=\"1\" loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"1800\" height=\"1031\" data-attachment-id=\"492\" data-permalink=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/?attachment_id=492\" data-orig-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/harveyville-st-scene-1-c1914-copy.jpg?fit=1800%2C1031&amp;ssl=1\" data-orig-size=\"1800,1031\" data-comments-opened=\"1\" data-image-meta=\"{&quot;aperture&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;credit&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;camera&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;caption&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;created_timestamp&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;copyright&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;focal_length&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;iso&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;shutter_speed&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;title&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;orientation&quot;:&quot;1&quot;}\" data-image-title=\"Main Street, Harveyville, Kansas &amp;#8211; 1914\" data-image-description=\"\" data-image-caption=\"&lt;p&gt;This view of Main Street in Harveyville is dated 1914. One can see the Santa Fe Hotel to the right, as well as Joe McClure\u2019s store. In the center of the block on the left side of the road, one can see the IOOF Hall, formerly the M.A.B Hotel. &lt;\/p&gt;\n\" data-large-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/harveyville-st-scene-1-c1914-copy.jpg?fit=1024%2C587&amp;ssl=1\" data-id=\"492\" src=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/harveyville-st-scene-1-c1914-copy.jpg?resize=1800%2C1031&#038;ssl=1\" alt=\"Main Street, Harveyville, Kansas - 1914\" class=\"wp-image-492\"\/><\/a><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">This view of Main Street in Harveyville is dated 1914. One can see the Santa Fe Hotel to the right, as well as Joe McClure\u2019s store. In the center of the block on the left side of the road, one can see the IOOF Hall, formerly the M.A.B Hotel. <\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image size-large\"><a scr=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/harveyville-st-scene-2-c1970-copy.jpg\"><img data-recalc-dims=\"1\" loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"1800\" height=\"1218\" data-attachment-id=\"493\" data-permalink=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/?attachment_id=493\" data-orig-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/harveyville-st-scene-2-c1970-copy.jpg?fit=1800%2C1218&amp;ssl=1\" data-orig-size=\"1800,1218\" data-comments-opened=\"1\" data-image-meta=\"{&quot;aperture&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;credit&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;camera&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;caption&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;created_timestamp&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;copyright&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;focal_length&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;iso&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;shutter_speed&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;title&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;orientation&quot;:&quot;1&quot;}\" data-image-title=\"Main Street, Harveyville, Kansas &amp;#8211; 1970\" data-image-description=\"\" data-image-caption=\"&lt;p&gt;This view of Main Street in Harveyville, Kansas is dated 1970. At the far left one can see the IOOF Hall, formerly the M.A.B. Hotel. &lt;\/p&gt;\n\" data-large-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/harveyville-st-scene-2-c1970-copy.jpg?fit=1024%2C693&amp;ssl=1\" data-id=\"493\" src=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/harveyville-st-scene-2-c1970-copy.jpg?resize=1800%2C1218&#038;ssl=1\" alt=\"Main Street, Harveyville, Kansas - 1970\" class=\"wp-image-493\"\/><\/a><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">This view of Main Street in Harveyville, Kansas is dated 1970. At the far left one can see the IOOF Hall, formerly the M.A.B. Hotel. <\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image size-large\"><a scr=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/mab-hotel250.jpg\"><img data-recalc-dims=\"1\" loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"1800\" height=\"1241\" data-attachment-id=\"494\" data-permalink=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/?attachment_id=494\" data-orig-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/mab-hotel250.jpg?fit=1800%2C1241&amp;ssl=1\" data-orig-size=\"1800,1241\" data-comments-opened=\"1\" data-image-meta=\"{&quot;aperture&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;credit&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;camera&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;caption&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;created_timestamp&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;copyright&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;focal_length&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;iso&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;shutter_speed&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;title&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;orientation&quot;:&quot;1&quot;}\" data-image-title=\"M.A.B Hotel, Harveyville, Kansas\" data-image-description=\"\" data-image-caption=\"&lt;p&gt;This photograph is a photograph of a group of people on the porch of the M.A.B. Hotel in Harveyville, Kansas in the 1890s. Five individuals are identified in handwriting on the image, including left to right, Oma Gookins, Hardy Marsh, Asa Gookins, Josie Gookins and Orinda Gookins. In later years this building became the IOOF Hall. &lt;\/p&gt;\n\" data-large-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/mab-hotel250.jpg?fit=1024%2C706&amp;ssl=1\" data-id=\"494\" src=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/mab-hotel250.jpg?resize=1800%2C1241&#038;ssl=1\" alt=\"M.A.B Hotel, Harveyville, Kansas\" class=\"wp-image-494\"\/><\/a><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">This photograph is a photograph of a group of people on the porch of the M.A.B. Hotel in Harveyville, Kansas in the 1890s. Five individuals are identified in handwriting on the image, including, left to right, Oma Gookins, Hardy Marsh, Asa Gookins, Josie Gookins, and Orinda Gookins. In later years this building became the IOOF Hall.<\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image size-large\"><a scr=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/harveyville-elevator-copy.jpg\"><img data-recalc-dims=\"1\" loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"1800\" height=\"1348\" data-attachment-id=\"488\" data-permalink=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/?attachment_id=488\" data-orig-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/harveyville-elevator-copy.jpg?fit=1800%2C1348&amp;ssl=1\" data-orig-size=\"1800,1348\" data-comments-opened=\"1\" data-image-meta=\"{&quot;aperture&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;credit&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;camera&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;caption&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;created_timestamp&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;copyright&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;focal_length&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;iso&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;shutter_speed&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;title&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;orientation&quot;:&quot;1&quot;}\" data-image-title=\"Harveyville Grain Elevator, Harveyville, Kansas\" data-image-description=\"\" data-image-caption=\"&lt;p&gt;This early 1900s view of the Harveyville grain elevator shows two men, Bill Boatwright and John Shrink on top of the elevator, while an unidentified man stands on the building\u2019s driveway. The elevator was owned by the Garinger-Farrell Elevator Company and was demolished on February 4, 2008. &lt;\/p&gt;\n\" data-large-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/harveyville-elevator-copy.jpg?fit=1024%2C767&amp;ssl=1\" data-id=\"488\" src=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/harveyville-elevator-copy.jpg?resize=1800%2C1348&#038;ssl=1\" alt=\"Harveyville Grain Elevator, Harveyville, Kansas\" class=\"wp-image-488\"\/><\/a><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">This early 1900s view of the Harveyville grain elevator shows two men, Bill Boatwright and John Shrink on top of the elevator, while an unidentified man stands on the building\u2019s driveway. The elevator was owned by the Garinger-Farrell Elevator Company and was demolished on February 4, 2008. \n<\/figcaption><\/figure>\n<\/figure>\n\n\n\n<hr class=\"wp-block-separator has-alpha-channel-opacity\"\/>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">&nbsp;<\/p>\n","protected":false},"excerpt":{"rendered":"<p>Harveyville, Kansas was founded in 1880 by the Atchison, Topeka &amp; Santa Fe Railway, who platted the town with the completion of the ATSF-owned Manhattan, Alma &amp; Burlingame Railroad. There had been settlers living in the general area of Harveyville for some 25 years before the town was formed. Henry Harvey and his sons homesteaded [&hellip;]<\/p>\n","protected":false},"author":101704399,"featured_media":486,"comment_status":"closed","ping_status":"open","sticky":true,"template":"","format":"standard","meta":{"_coblocks_attr":"","_coblocks_dimensions":"","_coblocks_responsive_height":"","_coblocks_accordion_ie_support":"","advanced_seo_description":"","jetpack_seo_html_title":"","jetpack_seo_noindex":false,"jetpack_seo_schema_type":"","_jetpack_newsletter_access":"","_jetpack_dont_email_post_to_subs":false,"_jetpack_newsletter_tier_id":0,"_jetpack_memberships_contains_paywalled_content":false,"_wpcom_ai_launchpad_first_post":false,"_jetpack_feature_clip_id":0,"_jetpack_memberships_contains_paid_content":false,"footnotes":"","jetpack_publicize_message":"{title}\n\n{excerpt}\n\n{url}","jetpack_publicize_feature_enabled":true,"jetpack_social_post_already_shared":false,"jetpack_social_options":{"image_generator_settings":{"template":"highway","default_image_id":0,"font":"","enabled":false},"version":2},"_wpas_customize_per_network":false,"jetpack_post_was_ever_published":false},"categories":[48362,12165,2003771,774433137,785536,17647958,1151],"tags":[774433134,3263,1338922,77146,544795958],"class_list":["post-480","post","type-post","status-publish","format-standard","has-post-thumbnail","hentry","category-biographies","category-early-history","category-featured-stories","category-gallery","category-museum-blog","category-our-museum","category-photographs","tag-early-history","tag-gallery","tag-historic-photos","tag-towns","tag-wabaunsee-communities"],"jetpack_publicize_connections":[],"jetpack_likes_enabled":true,"jetpack_sharing_enabled":true,"jetpack_shortlink":"https:\/\/wp.me\/p7hzqh-7K","jetpack-related-posts":[],"jetpack_featured_media_url":"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/harveyville-business-dist-from-elevator-copy.jpg?fit=1800%2C1324&ssl=1","_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/index.php?rest_route=\/wp\/v2\/posts\/480","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/index.php?rest_route=\/wp\/v2\/posts"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/index.php?rest_route=\/wp\/v2\/types\/post"}],"author":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/index.php?rest_route=\/wp\/v2\/users\/101704399"}],"replies":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/index.php?rest_route=%2Fwp%2Fv2%2Fcomments&post=480"}],"version-history":[{"count":10,"href":"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/index.php?rest_route=\/wp\/v2\/posts\/480\/revisions"}],"predecessor-version":[{"id":9808,"href":"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/index.php?rest_route=\/wp\/v2\/posts\/480\/revisions\/9808"}],"wp:featuredmedia":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/index.php?rest_route=\/wp\/v2\/media\/486"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/index.php?rest_route=%2Fwp%2Fv2%2Fmedia&parent=480"}],"wp:term":[{"taxonomy":"category","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/index.php?rest_route=%2Fwp%2Fv2%2Fcategories&post=480"},{"taxonomy":"post_tag","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/index.php?rest_route=%2Fwp%2Fv2%2Ftags&post=480"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}