{"id":454,"date":"2016-10-24T01:48:24","date_gmt":"2016-10-24T05:48:24","guid":{"rendered":"http:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/?p=454"},"modified":"2026-08-24T10:31:38","modified_gmt":"2026-08-24T15:31:38","slug":"eskridge","status":"publish","type":"post","link":"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/?p=454","title":{"rendered":"Eskridge"},"content":{"rendered":"\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">Eskridge, Kansas was founded in 1869 by Colonel Ephraim. H. Sanford who platted the town built on the rolling prairie of Wilmington Township. Sanford\u2019s town was located at \u201cthe Corners\u201d, an intersection Bronc Rider Road and Eight Mile Road, just about a mile east of the current downtown.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">Sanford was an accomplished criminal attorney, and he had been a judge, a former esteemed member of the State Legislature, a newspaper publisher and editor at papers in Akron, Ohio and Ann Arbor, Michigan, and a highly regarded Union army officer.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image alignnone size-full wp-image-1365\"><img data-recalc-dims=\"1\" loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"1800\" height=\"1248\" data-attachment-id=\"1365\" data-permalink=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/?attachment_id=1365\" data-orig-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/sanford-house.jpg?fit=1800%2C1248&amp;ssl=1\" data-orig-size=\"1800,1248\" data-comments-opened=\"1\" data-image-meta=\"{&quot;aperture&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;credit&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;camera&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;caption&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;created_timestamp&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;copyright&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;focal_length&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;iso&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;shutter_speed&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;title&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;orientation&quot;:&quot;1&quot;}\" data-image-title=\"sanford-house\" data-image-description=\"&lt;p&gt;Col. Ephraim Sanford&amp;#8217;s Home, Eskridge, Kansas&lt;\/p&gt;\n\" data-image-caption=\"&lt;p&gt;The home of Col. Ephraim Sanford sat atop a hill overlooking his town of Eskridge. This house is located on Locust Street in Eskridge. Photo courtesy Dean Dunn. &lt;\/p&gt;\n\" data-large-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/sanford-house.jpg?fit=1024%2C710&amp;ssl=1\" src=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/sanford-house.jpg?resize=1800%2C1248&#038;ssl=1\" alt=\"sanford-house\" class=\"wp-image-1365\"\/><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">The home of Col. Ephraim Sanford sat atop a hill overlooking his town of Eskridge. This house is located on Locust Street in Eskridge. Photo courtesy Dean Dunn.<\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">Col. Sanford platted his town and named it Eskridge after a friend of his, C.V. Eskridge, the publisher of an Emporia newspaper, the Emporia Republican.&nbsp; Sanford purchased Eskridge\u2019s paper and moved the equipment to his new town, starting a newspaper called the <em>Landmark.<\/em><\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">Although a few people built houses and even had businesses in Col. Sanford\u2019s Eskridge located at the Corners, the town never flourished.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">It was almost a dozen years later that the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway sought to lay a rail line between Burlingame and Manhattan. Every town and settlement in the vicinity of the proposed line eagerly wooed the railroad, hoping that it would run directly through their town. Such was not the case. With the exception of Alma, Wabaunsee, and Manhattan, the railroad chose to create new towns on property that they owned by virtue of land grants, rather than run their tracks through property owned by settlers.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">Thus, Eskridge was platted by the ATSF on a section of property that the railroad owned which bordered Col. Sanford\u2019s town along its west side. With the new depot and the proposed business district being located a mile to the west, the businesses at the Corners moved their buildings to the new town\u2019s Main Street. Within two years of the creation of the new town, it boasted a population of over 400 residents. Thus, Eskridge, as we know it, was born.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image alignnone size-full wp-image-1364\"><img data-recalc-dims=\"1\" loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"1800\" height=\"1076\" data-attachment-id=\"1364\" data-permalink=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/?attachment_id=1364\" data-orig-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-1889.jpg?fit=1800%2C1076&amp;ssl=1\" data-orig-size=\"1800,1076\" data-comments-opened=\"1\" data-image-meta=\"{&quot;aperture&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;credit&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;camera&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;caption&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;created_timestamp&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;copyright&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;focal_length&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;iso&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;shutter_speed&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;title&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;orientation&quot;:&quot;1&quot;}\" data-image-title=\"main-1889\" data-image-description=\"&lt;p&gt;Main Street, Eskridge, Kansas, Looking South&lt;\/p&gt;\n\" data-image-caption=\"&lt;p&gt;A crowd lines the street for a 4th of July celebration at Eskridge, Kansas.  This is the only known view of the west side of the street taken before the fire of 1890. &lt;\/p&gt;\n\" data-large-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-1889.jpg?fit=1024%2C612&amp;ssl=1\" src=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-1889.jpg?resize=1800%2C1076&#038;ssl=1\" alt=\"main-1889\" class=\"wp-image-1364\"\/><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">A crowd lines the street for a 4th of July celebration at Eskridge, Kansas. This is the only known view of the west side of the street taken before the fire of 1890.<\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">One curiosity with regard to the layout of the Eskridge streets is that the new town\u2019s streets were all drawn to run parallel and perpendicular to the railroad tracks as they pass the depot. However, as the rails pass through Eskridge, they travel across that portion of the township at a 45 degree angle.&nbsp; So, all of the roads in the new town are shifted 45 degrees clockwise relative to a north-south orientation.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">Once the railroad had come to Eskridge, the town flourished. Perhaps the biggest growth came in the cattle business.&nbsp; While the expansive tallgrass pastures had provided great opportunities for the earliest settlers who had owned livestock, the ability to transport large numbers of cattle into Eskridge by rail made the cattle pasturing business explode.&nbsp; The Eskridge railhead became one of the leading shipping points for cattle in Kansas.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image alignnone size-full wp-image-1366\"><img data-recalc-dims=\"1\" loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"1800\" height=\"1308\" data-attachment-id=\"1366\" data-permalink=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/?attachment_id=1366\" data-orig-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/esk-stockyards.jpg?fit=1800%2C1308&amp;ssl=1\" data-orig-size=\"1800,1308\" data-comments-opened=\"1\" data-image-meta=\"{&quot;aperture&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;credit&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;camera&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;caption&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;created_timestamp&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;copyright&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;focal_length&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;iso&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;shutter_speed&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;title&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;orientation&quot;:&quot;1&quot;}\" data-image-title=\"esk-stockyards\" data-image-description=\"&lt;p&gt;Eskridge, Kansas Stockyards&lt;\/p&gt;\n\" data-image-caption=\"&lt;p&gt;A load of cattle are being moved off ATSF cattle cars and into the Eskridge, Kansas stockyards. &lt;\/p&gt;\n\" data-large-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/esk-stockyards.jpg?fit=1024%2C744&amp;ssl=1\" src=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/esk-stockyards.jpg?resize=1800%2C1308&#038;ssl=1\" alt=\"esk-stockyards\" class=\"wp-image-1366\"\/><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">A load of cattle are being moved off ATSF cattle cars and into the Eskridge, Kansas stockyards.<\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">Two banks were established in town, the Security State Bank and the Eskridge State Bank, each located on opposite ends of the 100 block of Main Street. By 1900 there were two dentists, three physicians, two druggists, two dry goods stores, two general merchandise stores, a hardware and machinery store, two hotels, two lawyers, two lumber yards, two newspapers, a meat market, livery stable, a restaurant, a photographer, and two stores, Trusler\u2019s and Earl\u2019s, that \u201csold everything.\u201d<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">In 1890, disaster struck Eskridge, as a fire destroyed all of the buildings on the west side of the 100 block of Main Street &nbsp;to Trusler\u2019s store, where a stone \u201cfirewall\u201d saved that building and two buildings to the south. The town quickly rebuilt, with virtually every shop that was destroyed replacing their loss with a new building.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">On April 11, 1911, a fierce tornado struck Eskridge, inflicting severe damage to many homes and other buildings. While the business district was undamaged by the winds, the east part of town suffered severe losses. Two churches were destroyed and the Eskridge School was damaged beyond repair, leaving twenty to thirty students injured.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image alignnone size-full wp-image-476\"><img data-recalc-dims=\"1\" loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"1800\" height=\"1245\" data-attachment-id=\"476\" data-permalink=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/?attachment_id=476\" data-orig-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/tornado-christian-church-a.jpg?fit=1800%2C1245&amp;ssl=1\" data-orig-size=\"1800,1245\" data-comments-opened=\"1\" data-image-meta=\"{&quot;aperture&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;credit&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;camera&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;caption&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;created_timestamp&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;copyright&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;focal_length&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;iso&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;shutter_speed&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;title&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;orientation&quot;:&quot;1&quot;}\" data-image-title=\"Christian Church Destroyed by Tornado &amp;#8211; 1911\" data-image-description=\"\" data-image-caption=\"&lt;p&gt;This cabinet card, dated 1911, shows the Eskridge, Kansas Christian Church after it was destroyed by a tornado. Many houses and buildings, including the Eskridge Public School, located across the street from this church, were also destroyed. &lt;\/p&gt;\n\" data-large-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/tornado-christian-church-a.jpg?fit=1024%2C708&amp;ssl=1\" src=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/tornado-christian-church-a.jpg?resize=1800%2C1245&#038;ssl=1\" alt=\"Christian Church Destroyed by Tornado - 1911\" class=\"wp-image-476\"\/><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">This cabinet card, dated 1911, shows the Eskridge, Kansas Christian Church after it was destroyed by a tornado. Many houses and buildings, including the Eskridge Public School, located across the street from this church, were also destroyed.<\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">Then, in 1913, the unimaginable happened. Another fire on Main Street destroyed nine buildings on the west side of the 100 block, all located on the same lots which had burned in 1890.&nbsp; Again, the Trusler building\u2019s firewall stopped the fire\u2019s advance, but all buildings to the north were lost.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image alignnone size-full wp-image-475\"><img data-recalc-dims=\"1\" loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"1800\" height=\"1121\" data-attachment-id=\"475\" data-permalink=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/?attachment_id=475\" data-orig-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-street-fire-1913-dunn.jpg?fit=1800%2C1121&amp;ssl=1\" data-orig-size=\"1800,1121\" data-comments-opened=\"1\" data-image-meta=\"{&quot;aperture&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;credit&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;camera&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;caption&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;created_timestamp&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;copyright&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;focal_length&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;iso&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;shutter_speed&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;title&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;orientation&quot;:&quot;1&quot;}\" data-image-title=\"1913 Fire on Main Street, Eskridge, Kansas\" data-image-description=\"\" data-image-caption=\"&lt;p&gt;This real photo postcard by Easter Studio,  Eskridge, Kansas, shows the destruction wrought by a 1913 fire which destroyed nine of the twelve buildings on the west side of the 100 block of Main Street of Eskridge. The same section of this block had been destroyed 23 years earlier in an 1890 fire which swept down the street.  Photo courtesy the Dean Dunn collection. &lt;\/p&gt;\n\" data-large-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-street-fire-1913-dunn.jpg?fit=1024%2C638&amp;ssl=1\" src=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-street-fire-1913-dunn.jpg?resize=1800%2C1121&#038;ssl=1\" alt=\"1913 Fire on Main Street, Eskridge, Kansas\" class=\"wp-image-475\"\/><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">This real photo postcard by Easter Studio, Eskridge, Kansas, shows the destruction wrought by a 1913 fire which destroyed nine of the twelve buildings on the west side of the 100 block of Main Street of Eskridge. The same section of this block had been destroyed 23 years earlier in an 1890 fire which swept down the street. Photo courtesy the Dean Dunn collection.<\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">Once again, Eskridge rebuilt.&nbsp; In fact, in the years that would come, the town would experience growth and prosperity as it had not yet known.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image alignnone size-full wp-image-465\"><img data-recalc-dims=\"1\" loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"1800\" height=\"1285\" data-attachment-id=\"465\" data-permalink=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/?attachment_id=465\" data-orig-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-st-100-west-c1940-copy.jpg?fit=1800%2C1285&amp;ssl=1\" data-orig-size=\"1800,1285\" data-comments-opened=\"1\" data-image-meta=\"{&quot;aperture&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;credit&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;camera&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;caption&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;created_timestamp&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;copyright&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;focal_length&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;iso&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;shutter_speed&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;title&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;orientation&quot;:&quot;1&quot;}\" data-image-title=\"West Side, Main Street, Eskridge, Kansas &amp;#8211; c.1940\" data-image-description=\"\" data-image-caption=\"&lt;p&gt;This real photo postcard is titled, \u201cWestside Main Street, Eskridge, Kansas\u201d shows the town\u2019s business district in about 1940.  Handwritten in the left corner are the words, \u201cScales of Lumberyard.\u201d &lt;\/p&gt;\n\" data-large-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-st-100-west-c1940-copy.jpg?fit=1024%2C731&amp;ssl=1\" src=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-st-100-west-c1940-copy.jpg?resize=1800%2C1285&#038;ssl=1\" alt=\"West Side, Main Street, Eskridge, Kansas - c.1940\" class=\"wp-image-465\"\/><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">This real photo postcard is titled, \u201cWestside Main Street, Eskridge, Kansas\u201d shows the town\u2019s business district in about 1940. Handwritten in the left corner are the words, \u201cScales of Lumberyard.\u201d<\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">As with many towns in the Midwest, time brought change to Eskridge.&nbsp; In the post-World War II economy virtually no one commuted outside of the county to work, but by the 1970s, the coming of paved highways and the Interstate Highway system made commutes to Topeka, Manhattan and Emporia commonplace. In many ways, Eskridge has been redefined as a bedroom community for those who seek to escape urban living.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">Click on any image below to view photos in a gallery format.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-gallery has-nested-images columns-3 is-cropped wp-block-gallery-1 is-layout-flex wp-block-gallery-is-layout-flex\">\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image size-large\"><a href=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/depot-mab-1890-copy.jpg?ssl=1\"><img data-recalc-dims=\"1\" loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"1800\" height=\"1064\" data-attachment-id=\"456\" data-permalink=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/?attachment_id=456\" data-orig-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/depot-mab-1890-copy.jpg?fit=1800%2C1064&amp;ssl=1\" data-orig-size=\"1800,1064\" data-comments-opened=\"1\" data-image-meta=\"{&quot;aperture&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;credit&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;camera&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;caption&quot;:&quot;The Manhattan Alma and Burlingame Railroad depot at Eskridge is seen in this photo, circa 1890. As this depot is seen, it was originally 42 feet in length; in 1918 it was lengthened by 15 feet. Notice the stack of bricks which have arrived by train.&quot;,&quot;created_timestamp&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;copyright&quot;:&quot;Owner: Wabaunsee County Historical Society.&quot;,&quot;focal_length&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;iso&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;shutter_speed&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;title&quot;:&quot;DEPOT ESKRIDGE MAB 1890&quot;,&quot;orientation&quot;:&quot;1&quot;}\" data-image-title=\"Manhattan, Alma &amp;amp; Burlingame Railway Depot, Eskridge, Kansas &amp;#8211; 1890\" data-image-description=\"\" data-image-caption=\"&lt;p&gt;When this view of the Manhattan, Alma &amp;amp; Burlingame Railway Depot at Eskridge Kansas was taken in the late 1890s, the depot was 42-feet in length. In 1918 it was lengthened by 15-feet. Notice the stack of bricks beside the depot which had arrived by rail. &lt;\/p&gt;\n\" data-large-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/depot-mab-1890-copy.jpg?fit=1024%2C605&amp;ssl=1\" data-id=\"456\" src=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/depot-mab-1890-copy.jpg?resize=1800%2C1064&#038;ssl=1\" alt=\"Manhattan, Alma &amp; Burlingame Railway Depot, Eskridge, Kansas - 1890\" class=\"wp-image-456\"\/><\/a><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">When this view of the Manhattan, Alma &amp; Burlingame Railway Depot at Eskridge Kansas was taken in the late 1890s, the depot was 42-feet in length. In 1918 it was lengthened by 15-feet. Notice the stack of bricks beside the depot which had arrived by rail. \n<\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image size-large\"><a href=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/dunn-home-opening-day329-copy.jpg?ssl=1\"><img data-recalc-dims=\"1\" loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"1800\" height=\"1233\" data-attachment-id=\"457\" data-permalink=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/?attachment_id=457\" data-orig-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/dunn-home-opening-day329-copy.jpg?fit=1800%2C1233&amp;ssl=1\" data-orig-size=\"1800,1233\" data-comments-opened=\"1\" data-image-meta=\"{&quot;aperture&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;credit&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;camera&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;caption&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;created_timestamp&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;copyright&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;focal_length&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;iso&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;shutter_speed&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;title&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;orientation&quot;:&quot;1&quot;}\" data-image-title=\"Opening Day, Dunn Home Supply &amp;#8211; September 17, 1949\" data-image-description=\"\" data-image-caption=\"&lt;p&gt;Dunn Home Supply Company opened on September 17, 1949 at 118 South Main Street in Eskridge, Kansas. Dean and Inez Dunn opened their variety store just across the street from Dean\u2019s father\u2019s Rexall Drug Store. The Dunns operated Dunn Home Supply until their retirement in 2007. Photo from the Dean Dunn collection. &lt;\/p&gt;\n\" data-large-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/dunn-home-opening-day329-copy.jpg?fit=1024%2C701&amp;ssl=1\" data-id=\"457\" src=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/dunn-home-opening-day329-copy.jpg?resize=1800%2C1233&#038;ssl=1\" alt=\"Opening Day, Dunn Home Supply - September 17, 1949\" class=\"wp-image-457\"\/><\/a><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">Dunn Home Supply Company opened on September 17, 1949 at 118 South Main Street in Eskridge, Kansas. Dean and Inez Dunn opened their variety store just across the street from Dean\u2019s father\u2019s Rexall Drug Store. The Dunns operated Dunn Home Supply until their retirement in 2007. Photo from the Dean Dunn collection. \n<\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image size-large\"><a href=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/dunns-home-supply-c1950339.jpg?ssl=1\"><img data-recalc-dims=\"1\" loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"1800\" height=\"2682\" data-attachment-id=\"458\" data-permalink=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/?attachment_id=458\" data-orig-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/dunns-home-supply-c1950339.jpg?fit=1800%2C2682&amp;ssl=1\" data-orig-size=\"1800,2682\" data-comments-opened=\"1\" data-image-meta=\"{&quot;aperture&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;credit&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;camera&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;caption&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;created_timestamp&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;copyright&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;focal_length&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;iso&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;shutter_speed&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;title&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;orientation&quot;:&quot;1&quot;}\" data-image-title=\"Dunn Home Supply Co., Eskridge, Kansas &amp;#8211; c.1950\" data-image-description=\"\" data-image-caption=\"&lt;p&gt;This view of Dunn Home Supply in Eskridge Kansas dates from about 1950, shortly after the store opened for business. Dunn Home Supply was owned by Dean and Inez Dunn, lifelong Eskridge residents.  Notice the window above the front door.  Barely visible to the left is the Rissler Plymouth dealership. Photo from the Dean Dunn collection. &lt;\/p&gt;\n\" data-large-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/dunns-home-supply-c1950339.jpg?fit=687%2C1024&amp;ssl=1\" data-id=\"458\" src=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/dunns-home-supply-c1950339.jpg?resize=1800%2C2682&#038;ssl=1\" alt=\"Dunn Home Supply Co., Eskridge, Kansas - c.1950\" class=\"wp-image-458\"\/><\/a><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">This view of Dunn Home Supply in Eskridge Kansas dates from about 1950, shortly after the store opened for business. Dunn Home Supply was owned by Dean and Inez Dunn, lifelong Eskridge residents.  Notice the window above the front door.  Barely visible to the left is the Rissler Plymouth dealership. Photo from the Dean Dunn collection. \n<\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image size-large\"><a href=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/eskridge-aerial-view-c-1960.jpg?ssl=1\"><img data-recalc-dims=\"1\" loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"1800\" height=\"1420\" data-attachment-id=\"459\" data-permalink=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/?attachment_id=459\" data-orig-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/eskridge-aerial-view-c-1960.jpg?fit=1800%2C1420&amp;ssl=1\" data-orig-size=\"1800,1420\" data-comments-opened=\"1\" data-image-meta=\"{&quot;aperture&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;credit&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;camera&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;caption&quot;:&quot;This is an aeriel photograph of Eskridge taken by long-time Eskridge businessman Dean Dunn. In this view Main Street runs vertically, and 3rd Avenue runs horizontally across the image.&quot;,&quot;created_timestamp&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;copyright&quot;:&quot;Owner: Dean Dunn Collection&quot;,&quot;focal_length&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;iso&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;shutter_speed&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;title&quot;:&quot;AERIAL VIEW ESKRIDGE c. 1960&quot;,&quot;orientation&quot;:&quot;1&quot;}\" data-image-title=\"Aerial View, Eskridge Kansas &amp;#8211; c. 1960\" data-image-description=\"\" data-image-caption=\"&lt;p&gt;This aerial view of Eskridge, Kansas was taken by Eskridge businessman and pilot, Dean Dunn. This view, from about 1960, provides an excellent illustration that the town was platted at a 45-degree angle relative to the section lines. The Atchison, Topeka &amp;amp; Santa Fe tracks are visible horizontally across the bottom of the photo.  Photo courtesy the Dean Dunn collection.&lt;\/p&gt;\n\" data-large-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/eskridge-aerial-view-c-1960.jpg?fit=1024%2C808&amp;ssl=1\" data-id=\"459\" src=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/eskridge-aerial-view-c-1960.jpg?resize=1800%2C1420&#038;ssl=1\" alt=\"Aerial View, Eskridge Kansas - c. 1960\" class=\"wp-image-459\"\/><\/a><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">\nThis aerial view of Eskridge, Kansas was taken by Eskridge businessman and pilot, Dean Dunn. This view, from about 1960, provides an excellent illustration that the town was platted at a 45-degree angle relative to the section lines. The Atchison, Topeka &amp; Santa Fe tracks are visible horizontally across the bottom of the photo.  Photo courtesy the Dean Dunn collection.<\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image size-large\"><a href=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/eskridge-labor-day-rodeo-19566-widau.jpg?ssl=1\"><img data-recalc-dims=\"1\" loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"1800\" height=\"1129\" data-attachment-id=\"460\" data-permalink=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/?attachment_id=460\" data-orig-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/eskridge-labor-day-rodeo-19566-widau.jpg?fit=1800%2C1129&amp;ssl=1\" data-orig-size=\"1800,1129\" data-comments-opened=\"1\" data-image-meta=\"{&quot;aperture&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;credit&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;camera&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;caption&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;created_timestamp&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;copyright&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;focal_length&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;iso&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;shutter_speed&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;title&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;orientation&quot;:&quot;1&quot;}\" data-image-title=\"Founders of the Eskridge Labor Day Rodeo\" data-image-description=\"\" data-image-caption=\"&lt;p&gt;Three of the founders of the Eskridge Labor Day Rodeo are seen in the rodeo grounds in this photo dated 1956. Seen here, from left to right are Wendell Tranter,  Bob Widau, and Ed Van Petten. Photo courtesy Bob Widau. &lt;\/p&gt;\n\" data-large-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/eskridge-labor-day-rodeo-19566-widau.jpg?fit=1024%2C642&amp;ssl=1\" data-id=\"460\" src=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/eskridge-labor-day-rodeo-19566-widau.jpg?resize=1800%2C1129&#038;ssl=1\" alt=\"Founders of the Eskridge Labor Day Rodeo\" class=\"wp-image-460\"\/><\/a><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">Three of the founders of the Eskridge Labor Day Rodeo are seen in the rodeo grounds in this photo dated 1956. Seen here, from left to right are Wendell Tranter,  Bob Widau, and Ed Van Petten. Photo courtesy Bob Widau. <\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image size-large\"><a href=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/eskridge-sinclair-meeker017-copy.jpg?ssl=1\"><img data-recalc-dims=\"1\" loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"1800\" height=\"1269\" data-attachment-id=\"461\" data-permalink=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/?attachment_id=461\" data-orig-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/eskridge-sinclair-meeker017-copy.jpg?fit=1800%2C1269&amp;ssl=1\" data-orig-size=\"1800,1269\" data-comments-opened=\"1\" data-image-meta=\"{&quot;aperture&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;credit&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;camera&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;caption&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;created_timestamp&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;copyright&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;focal_length&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;iso&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;shutter_speed&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;title&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;orientation&quot;:&quot;1&quot;}\" data-image-title=\"Cloice Meeker\u2019s Sinclair Station, Eskridge, Kansas\" data-image-description=\"\" data-image-caption=\"&lt;p&gt;Cloice Meeker stands in front of his Sinclair gas station, located at 122 Main Street in Eskridge, Kansas. This view of the station dates from the 1920s, and the station operated on the corner of 2nd and Main until it was demolished to construct a new Post Office in 1962. &lt;\/p&gt;\n\" data-large-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/eskridge-sinclair-meeker017-copy.jpg?fit=1024%2C722&amp;ssl=1\" data-id=\"461\" src=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/eskridge-sinclair-meeker017-copy.jpg?resize=1800%2C1269&#038;ssl=1\" alt=\"Cloice Meeker\u2019s Sinclair Station, Eskridge, Kansas\" class=\"wp-image-461\"\/><\/a><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">Cloice Meeker stands in front of his Sinclair gas station, located at 122 Main Street in Eskridge, Kansas. This view of the station dates from the 1920s, and the station operated on the corner of 2nd and Main until it was demolished to construct a new Post Office in 1962. \n<\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image size-large\"><a href=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/eskridge-skyline-c-1885-copy.jpg?ssl=1\"><img data-recalc-dims=\"1\" loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"1800\" height=\"1060\" data-attachment-id=\"462\" data-permalink=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/?attachment_id=462\" data-orig-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/eskridge-skyline-c-1885-copy.jpg?fit=1800%2C1060&amp;ssl=1\" data-orig-size=\"1800,1060\" data-comments-opened=\"1\" data-image-meta=\"{&quot;aperture&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;credit&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;camera&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;caption&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;created_timestamp&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;copyright&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;focal_length&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;iso&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;shutter_speed&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;title&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;orientation&quot;:&quot;1&quot;}\" data-image-title=\"Skyline View, Eskridge, Kansas &amp;#8211; 1880s\" data-image-description=\"\" data-image-caption=\"&lt;p&gt;This view of Eskridge, taken in the late 1880s, shows a very busy town, curiously, with no trees. Eskridge was created in 1880 when the Manhattan, Alma &amp;amp; Burlingame Railway platted towns along its line. The original town of Eskridge was located a mile to the east, far in the distance in this view, and the town moved to the new site in 1880 when the railroad established the depot and sold lots. &lt;\/p&gt;\n\" data-large-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/eskridge-skyline-c-1885-copy.jpg?fit=1024%2C603&amp;ssl=1\" data-id=\"462\" src=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/eskridge-skyline-c-1885-copy.jpg?resize=1800%2C1060&#038;ssl=1\" alt=\"Skyline View, Eskridge, Kansas - 1880s\" class=\"wp-image-462\"\/><\/a><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">This view of Eskridge, taken in the late 1880s, shows a very busy town, curiously, with no trees. Eskridge was created in 1880 when the Manhattan, Alma &amp; Burlingame Railway platted towns along its line. The original town of Eskridge was located a mile to the east, far in the distance in this view, and the town moved to the new site in 1880 when the railroad established the depot and sold lots. \n<\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image size-large\"><a href=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-st-100-block-west-side-c-1908-hoots-copy.jpg?ssl=1\"><img data-recalc-dims=\"1\" loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"1800\" height=\"1000\" data-attachment-id=\"463\" data-permalink=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/?attachment_id=463\" data-orig-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-st-100-block-west-side-c-1908-hoots-copy.jpg?fit=1800%2C1000&amp;ssl=1\" data-orig-size=\"1800,1000\" data-comments-opened=\"1\" data-image-meta=\"{&quot;aperture&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;credit&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;camera&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;caption&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;created_timestamp&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;copyright&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;focal_length&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;iso&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;shutter_speed&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;title&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;orientation&quot;:&quot;1&quot;}\" data-image-title=\"Main Street, West Side, Eskridge, Kansas &amp;#8211; 1908\" data-image-description=\"\" data-image-caption=\"&lt;p&gt;This real photo postcard from about 1908 shows the west side of the 100 block of Main Street in Eskridge, Kansas. The nearest nine buildings in this view were all constructed after an 1890 fire destroyed most of the business district. In 1913 these same nine buildings were destroyed in a second disastrous fire.&lt;\/p&gt;\n\" data-large-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-st-100-block-west-side-c-1908-hoots-copy.jpg?fit=1024%2C569&amp;ssl=1\" data-id=\"463\" src=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-st-100-block-west-side-c-1908-hoots-copy.jpg?resize=1800%2C1000&#038;ssl=1\" alt=\"Main Street, West Side, Eskridge, Kansas - 1908\" class=\"wp-image-463\"\/><\/a><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">This real photo postcard from about 1908 shows the west side of the 100 block of Main Street in Eskridge, Kansas. The nearest nine buildings in this view were all constructed after an 1890 fire destroyed most of the business district. In 1913 these same nine buildings were destroyed in a second disastrous fire.<\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image size-large\"><a href=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-st-100-duff-produce-kraus.jpg?ssl=1\"><img data-recalc-dims=\"1\" loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"1800\" height=\"1246\" data-attachment-id=\"464\" data-permalink=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/?attachment_id=464\" data-orig-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-st-100-duff-produce-kraus.jpg?fit=1800%2C1246&amp;ssl=1\" data-orig-size=\"1800,1246\" data-comments-opened=\"1\" data-image-meta=\"{&quot;aperture&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;credit&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;camera&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;caption&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;created_timestamp&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;copyright&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;focal_length&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;iso&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;shutter_speed&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;title&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;orientation&quot;:&quot;1&quot;}\" data-image-title=\"Duff Produce, 100 Main, Eskridge, Kansas\" data-image-description=\"\" data-image-caption=\"&lt;p&gt;This real photo postcard shows Duff Produce Company, located at 100 Main Street, in Eskridge, Kansas. At the bottom of the card it lists, \u201cPhone 7, Eskridge, Kansas\u201d. Photo courtesy Bob and Carol Kraus.&lt;\/p&gt;\n\" data-large-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-st-100-duff-produce-kraus.jpg?fit=1024%2C709&amp;ssl=1\" data-id=\"464\" src=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-st-100-duff-produce-kraus.jpg?resize=1800%2C1246&#038;ssl=1\" alt=\"Duff Produce, 100 Main, Eskridge, Kansas\" class=\"wp-image-464\"\/><\/a><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">This real photo postcard shows Duff Produce Company, located at 100 Main Street, in Eskridge, Kansas. At the bottom of the card it lists, \u201cPhone 7, Eskridge, Kansas\u201d. Photo courtesy Bob and Carol Kraus.<\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image size-large\"><a href=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-st-100-west-c1940-copy.jpg?ssl=1\"><img data-recalc-dims=\"1\" loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"1800\" height=\"1285\" data-attachment-id=\"465\" data-permalink=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/?attachment_id=465\" data-orig-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-st-100-west-c1940-copy.jpg?fit=1800%2C1285&amp;ssl=1\" data-orig-size=\"1800,1285\" data-comments-opened=\"1\" data-image-meta=\"{&quot;aperture&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;credit&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;camera&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;caption&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;created_timestamp&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;copyright&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;focal_length&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;iso&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;shutter_speed&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;title&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;orientation&quot;:&quot;1&quot;}\" data-image-title=\"West Side, Main Street, Eskridge, Kansas &amp;#8211; c.1940\" data-image-description=\"\" data-image-caption=\"&lt;p&gt;This real photo postcard is titled, \u201cWestside Main Street, Eskridge, Kansas\u201d shows the town\u2019s business district in about 1940.  Handwritten in the left corner are the words, \u201cScales of Lumberyard.\u201d &lt;\/p&gt;\n\" data-large-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-st-100-west-c1940-copy.jpg?fit=1024%2C731&amp;ssl=1\" data-id=\"465\" src=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-st-100-west-c1940-copy.jpg?resize=1800%2C1285&#038;ssl=1\" alt=\"West Side, Main Street, Eskridge, Kansas - c.1940\" class=\"wp-image-465\"\/><\/a><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">This real photo postcard is titled, \u201cWestside Main Street, Eskridge, Kansas\u201d shows the town\u2019s business district in about 1940.  Handwritten in the left corner are the words, \u201cScales of Lumberyard.\u201d <\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image size-large\"><a href=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-st-101-eskridge-state-bank-interior-taylor-copy.jpg?ssl=1\"><img data-recalc-dims=\"1\" loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"1800\" height=\"1233\" data-attachment-id=\"466\" data-permalink=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/?attachment_id=466\" data-orig-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-st-101-eskridge-state-bank-interior-taylor-copy.jpg?fit=1800%2C1233&amp;ssl=1\" data-orig-size=\"1800,1233\" data-comments-opened=\"1\" data-image-meta=\"{&quot;aperture&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;credit&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;camera&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;caption&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;created_timestamp&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;copyright&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;focal_length&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;iso&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;shutter_speed&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;title&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;orientation&quot;:&quot;1&quot;}\" data-image-title=\"Interior View Eskridge State Bank, Eskridge, Kansas\" data-image-description=\"\" data-image-caption=\"&lt;p&gt;This view of the interior of the Eskridge State bank was taken in the 1920s. Identified standing at left is B.C. Taylor, cashier; seated, W.T. Echols, President; and Mary Echles, bookkeeper, standing at the window.  Photo courtesy Russell and Arlene Taylor.&lt;\/p&gt;\n\" data-large-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-st-101-eskridge-state-bank-interior-taylor-copy.jpg?fit=1024%2C701&amp;ssl=1\" data-id=\"466\" src=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-st-101-eskridge-state-bank-interior-taylor-copy.jpg?resize=1800%2C1233&#038;ssl=1\" alt=\"Interior View Eskridge State Bank, Eskridge, Kansas\" class=\"wp-image-466\"\/><\/a><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">This view of the interior of the Eskridge State bank was taken in the 1920s. Identified standing at left is B.C. Taylor, cashier; seated, W.T. Echols, President; and Mary Echles, bookkeeper, standing at the window.  Photo courtesy Russell and Arlene Taylor.<\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image size-large\"><a href=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-st-101-eskridge-state-bank-taylor-copy.jpg?ssl=1\"><img data-recalc-dims=\"1\" loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"1800\" height=\"1035\" data-attachment-id=\"467\" data-permalink=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/?attachment_id=467\" data-orig-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-st-101-eskridge-state-bank-taylor-copy.jpg?fit=1800%2C1035&amp;ssl=1\" data-orig-size=\"1800,1035\" data-comments-opened=\"1\" data-image-meta=\"{&quot;aperture&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;credit&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;camera&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;caption&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;created_timestamp&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;copyright&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;focal_length&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;iso&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;shutter_speed&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;title&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;orientation&quot;:&quot;1&quot;}\" data-image-title=\"Eskridge State Bank, Harkness Department Store, Eskridge, Kansas\" data-image-description=\"\" data-image-caption=\"&lt;p&gt;In this 1950s view one sees Marshall Harkness\u2019 Department Store and the Eskridge State Bank, located at 101 and 105 Main Street in Eskridge. Notice the Atchison, Topeka &amp;amp; Santa Fe depot at the far right of the photo.  Russell Taylor recalls his 1950 Ford parked in front of the bank as being mint green. Photo courtesy Russell and Arlene Taylor. &lt;\/p&gt;\n\" data-large-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-st-101-eskridge-state-bank-taylor-copy.jpg?fit=1024%2C589&amp;ssl=1\" data-id=\"467\" src=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-st-101-eskridge-state-bank-taylor-copy.jpg?resize=1800%2C1035&#038;ssl=1\" alt=\"Eskridge State Bank, Harkness Department Store, Eskridge, Kansas\" class=\"wp-image-467\"\/><\/a><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">In this 1950s view one sees Marshall Harkness\u2019 Department Store and the Eskridge State Bank, located at 101 and 105 Main Street in Eskridge. Notice the Atchison, Topeka &amp; Santa Fe depot at the far right of the photo.  Russell Taylor recalls his 1950 Ford parked in front of the bank as being mint green. Photo courtesy Russell and Arlene Taylor. <\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image size-large\"><a href=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-st-105-n-elreco-gas-kraus.jpg?ssl=1\"><img data-recalc-dims=\"1\" loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"1800\" height=\"1429\" data-attachment-id=\"468\" data-permalink=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/?attachment_id=468\" data-orig-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-st-105-n-elreco-gas-kraus.jpg?fit=1800%2C1429&amp;ssl=1\" data-orig-size=\"1800,1429\" data-comments-opened=\"1\" data-image-meta=\"{&quot;aperture&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;credit&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;camera&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;caption&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;created_timestamp&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;copyright&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;focal_length&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;iso&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;shutter_speed&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;title&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;orientation&quot;:&quot;1&quot;}\" data-image-title=\"Elreco Gas Station, Eskridge, Kansas\" data-image-description=\"\" data-image-caption=\"&lt;p&gt;This view of the Elreco gas station, located at 107 North Main Street in Eskridge, Kansas was taken just months before Dale and Hazel Kemp purchased the station. The Kemps operated the station for 55 years.  Elreco was a brand owned by Eldorado Refinery Corporation which was purchased by Fina Petroleum in the mid-1950s. Photo courtesy Bob and Carol Kraus. &lt;\/p&gt;\n\" data-large-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-st-105-n-elreco-gas-kraus.jpg?fit=1024%2C813&amp;ssl=1\" data-id=\"468\" src=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-st-105-n-elreco-gas-kraus.jpg?resize=1800%2C1429&#038;ssl=1\" alt=\"Elreco Gas Station, Eskridge, Kansas\" class=\"wp-image-468\"\/><\/a><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">This view of the Elreco gas station, located at 107 North Main Street in Eskridge, Kansas was taken just months before Dale and Hazel Kemp purchased the station. The Kemps operated the station for 55 years.  Elreco was a brand owned by Eldorado Refinery Corporation which was purchased by Fina Petroleum in the mid-1950s. Photo courtesy Bob and Carol Kraus. <\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image size-large\"><a href=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-st-111-dunn-drug-d-dunn.jpg?ssl=1\"><img data-recalc-dims=\"1\" loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"1800\" height=\"1243\" data-attachment-id=\"469\" data-permalink=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/?attachment_id=469\" data-orig-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-st-111-dunn-drug-d-dunn.jpg?fit=1800%2C1243&amp;ssl=1\" data-orig-size=\"1800,1243\" data-comments-opened=\"1\" data-image-meta=\"{&quot;aperture&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;credit&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;camera&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;caption&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;created_timestamp&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;copyright&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;focal_length&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;iso&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;shutter_speed&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;title&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;orientation&quot;:&quot;1&quot;}\" data-image-title=\"Interior View, Preston Dunn\u2019s Rexall Drug Store, Eskridge, Kansas\" data-image-description=\"\" data-image-caption=\"&lt;p&gt;This view of the interior of Preston Dunn\u2019s Rexall Drug Store dates from the late 1940s. This modern soda fountain was installed in the store after World War II. Dunn is seen standing at left at the far end of the fountain. Photo courtesy the Dean Dunn collection. &lt;\/p&gt;\n\" data-large-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-st-111-dunn-drug-d-dunn.jpg?fit=1024%2C707&amp;ssl=1\" data-id=\"469\" src=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-st-111-dunn-drug-d-dunn.jpg?resize=1800%2C1243&#038;ssl=1\" alt=\"Interior View, Preston Dunn\u2019s Rexall Drug Store, Eskridge, Kansas\" class=\"wp-image-469\"\/><\/a><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">This view of the interior of Preston Dunn\u2019s Rexall Drug Store dates from the late 1940s. This modern soda fountain was installed in the store after World War II. Dunn is seen standing at left at the far end of the fountain. Photo courtesy the Dean Dunn collection. <\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image size-large\"><a href=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-st-111-dunn-drug-exterior-dunn.jpg?ssl=1\"><img data-recalc-dims=\"1\" loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"1800\" height=\"1209\" data-attachment-id=\"470\" data-permalink=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/?attachment_id=470\" data-orig-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-st-111-dunn-drug-exterior-dunn.jpg?fit=1800%2C1209&amp;ssl=1\" data-orig-size=\"1800,1209\" data-comments-opened=\"1\" data-image-meta=\"{&quot;aperture&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;credit&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;camera&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;caption&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;created_timestamp&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;copyright&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;focal_length&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;iso&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;shutter_speed&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;title&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;orientation&quot;:&quot;1&quot;}\" data-image-title=\"Exterior View, Preston Dunn\u2019s Rexall Drug Store, Eskridge, Kansas\" data-image-description=\"\" data-image-caption=\"&lt;p&gt;This view of Preston Dunn\u2019s Rexall Drug Store, located at 111 South Main Street, Eskridge, Kansas, dates from the early 1950s. Photo courtesy the Dean Dunn collection. &lt;\/p&gt;\n\" data-large-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-st-111-dunn-drug-exterior-dunn.jpg?fit=1024%2C688&amp;ssl=1\" data-id=\"470\" src=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-st-111-dunn-drug-exterior-dunn.jpg?resize=1800%2C1209&#038;ssl=1\" alt=\"Exterior View, Preston Dunn\u2019s Rexall Drug Store, Eskridge, Kansas\" class=\"wp-image-470\"\/><\/a><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">This view of Preston Dunn\u2019s Rexall Drug Store, located at 111 South Main Street, Eskridge, Kansas, dates from the early 1950s. Photo courtesy the Dean Dunn collection. <\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image size-large\"><a href=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-st-111-e-r-brown-drug-interior-hoots.jpg?ssl=1\"><img data-recalc-dims=\"1\" loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"1800\" height=\"1142\" data-attachment-id=\"471\" data-permalink=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/?attachment_id=471\" data-orig-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-st-111-e-r-brown-drug-interior-hoots.jpg?fit=1800%2C1142&amp;ssl=1\" data-orig-size=\"1800,1142\" data-comments-opened=\"1\" data-image-meta=\"{&quot;aperture&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;credit&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;camera&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;caption&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;created_timestamp&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;copyright&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;focal_length&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;iso&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;shutter_speed&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;title&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;orientation&quot;:&quot;1&quot;}\" data-image-title=\"Interior View, E.R. Brown\u2019s Drug Store, Eskridge, Kansas\" data-image-description=\"\" data-image-caption=\"&lt;p&gt;This real photo postcard, circa 1908, shows E.R. Brown, left, in his drug store located at 111 South Main Street in Eskridge, Kansas. Notice the many pieces of stuffed game that Brown displayed on his walls. This store was destroyed by fire in 1913. Photo courtesy Greg Hoots.&lt;\/p&gt;\n\" data-large-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-st-111-e-r-brown-drug-interior-hoots.jpg?fit=1024%2C650&amp;ssl=1\" data-id=\"471\" src=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-st-111-e-r-brown-drug-interior-hoots.jpg?resize=1800%2C1142&#038;ssl=1\" alt=\"Interior View, E.R. Brown\u2019s Drug Store, Eskridge, Kansas\" class=\"wp-image-471\"\/><\/a><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">This real photo postcard, circa 1908, shows E.R. Brown, left, in his drug store located at 111 South Main Street in Eskridge, Kansas. Notice the many pieces of stuffed game that Brown displayed on his walls. This store was destroyed by fire in 1913. Photo courtesy Greg Hoots.<\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image size-large\"><a href=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-st-121-security-bank-waugh-copy.jpg?ssl=1\"><img data-recalc-dims=\"1\" loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"1800\" height=\"2180\" data-attachment-id=\"472\" data-permalink=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/?attachment_id=472\" data-orig-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-st-121-security-bank-waugh-copy.jpg?fit=1800%2C2180&amp;ssl=1\" data-orig-size=\"1800,2180\" data-comments-opened=\"1\" data-image-meta=\"{&quot;aperture&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;credit&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;camera&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;caption&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;created_timestamp&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;copyright&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;focal_length&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;iso&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;shutter_speed&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;title&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;orientation&quot;:&quot;1&quot;}\" data-image-title=\"Security Bank, 121 Main Street, Eskridge, Kansas\" data-image-description=\"\" data-image-caption=\"&lt;p&gt;George Waugh, center, and a group of men stand in front of the Security Bank, located at 121 South Main Street in Eskridge, Kansas shortly after it opened this new building in 1887. Photo courtesy Bruce Waugh.  &lt;\/p&gt;\n\" data-large-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-st-121-security-bank-waugh-copy.jpg?fit=846%2C1024&amp;ssl=1\" data-id=\"472\" src=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-st-121-security-bank-waugh-copy.jpg?resize=1800%2C2180&#038;ssl=1\" alt=\"Security Bank, 121 Main Street, Eskridge, Kansas\" class=\"wp-image-472\"\/><\/a><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">George Waugh, center, and a group of men stand in front of the Security Bank, located at 121 South Main Street in Eskridge, Kansas shortly after it opened this new building in 1887. Photo courtesy Bruce Waugh.  <\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image size-large\"><a href=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-st-123-waugh-building-c-1910-hoots.jpg?ssl=1\"><img data-recalc-dims=\"1\" loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"1800\" height=\"1134\" data-attachment-id=\"473\" data-permalink=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/?attachment_id=473\" data-orig-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-st-123-waugh-building-c-1910-hoots.jpg?fit=1800%2C1134&amp;ssl=1\" data-orig-size=\"1800,1134\" data-comments-opened=\"1\" data-image-meta=\"{&quot;aperture&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;credit&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;camera&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;caption&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;created_timestamp&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;copyright&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;focal_length&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;iso&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;shutter_speed&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;title&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;orientation&quot;:&quot;1&quot;}\" data-image-title=\"Security State Bank, Waugh Building, Eskridge, Kansas &amp;#8211; c.1910\" data-image-description=\"\" data-image-caption=\"&lt;p&gt;This real photo postcard shows the new Eskridge State Bank, constructed by the Waugh brothers in 1906. While the bank occupied the front half of the building, the U.S. Post Office had their office in the rear of the building. Photo courtesy Greg Hoots. &lt;\/p&gt;\n\" data-large-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-st-123-waugh-building-c-1910-hoots.jpg?fit=1024%2C645&amp;ssl=1\" data-id=\"473\" src=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-st-123-waugh-building-c-1910-hoots.jpg?resize=1800%2C1134&#038;ssl=1\" alt=\"Security State Bank, Waugh Building, Eskridge, Kansas\" class=\"wp-image-473\"\/><\/a><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">This real photo postcard shows the new Eskridge State Bank, constructed by the Waugh brothers in 1906. While the bank occupied the front half of the building, the U.S. Post Office had their office in the rear of the building. Photo courtesy Greg Hoots. <\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image size-large\"><a href=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-st-500-park-gazebo-c-1910-hoots-copy.jpg?ssl=1\"><img data-recalc-dims=\"1\" loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"1800\" height=\"1087\" data-attachment-id=\"474\" data-permalink=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/?attachment_id=474\" data-orig-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-st-500-park-gazebo-c-1910-hoots-copy.jpg?fit=1800%2C1087&amp;ssl=1\" data-orig-size=\"1800,1087\" data-comments-opened=\"1\" data-image-meta=\"{&quot;aperture&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;credit&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;camera&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;caption&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;created_timestamp&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;copyright&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;focal_length&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;iso&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;shutter_speed&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;title&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;orientation&quot;:&quot;1&quot;}\" data-image-title=\"Gazebo, City Park, Eskridge, Kansas &amp;#8211; 1913\" data-image-description=\"\" data-image-caption=\"&lt;p&gt;This real photo postcard view of the bandstand in the City Park at Eskridge, Kansas shows long rows of newly planted trees surrounding the gazebo. This view dates from about 1910. Photo courtesy Greg Hoots. &lt;\/p&gt;\n\" data-large-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-st-500-park-gazebo-c-1910-hoots-copy.jpg?fit=1024%2C618&amp;ssl=1\" data-id=\"474\" src=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-st-500-park-gazebo-c-1910-hoots-copy.jpg?resize=1800%2C1087&#038;ssl=1\" alt=\"Gazebo, City Park, Eskridge, Kansas - 1913\" class=\"wp-image-474\"\/><\/a><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">This real photo postcard view of the bandstand in the City Park at Eskridge, Kansas shows long rows of newly planted trees surrounding the gazebo. This view dates from about 1910. Photo courtesy Greg Hoots. <\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image size-large\"><a href=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-street-fire-1913-dunn.jpg?ssl=1\"><img data-recalc-dims=\"1\" loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"1800\" height=\"1121\" data-attachment-id=\"475\" data-permalink=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/?attachment_id=475\" data-orig-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-street-fire-1913-dunn.jpg?fit=1800%2C1121&amp;ssl=1\" data-orig-size=\"1800,1121\" data-comments-opened=\"1\" data-image-meta=\"{&quot;aperture&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;credit&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;camera&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;caption&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;created_timestamp&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;copyright&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;focal_length&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;iso&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;shutter_speed&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;title&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;orientation&quot;:&quot;1&quot;}\" data-image-title=\"1913 Fire on Main Street, Eskridge, Kansas\" data-image-description=\"\" data-image-caption=\"&lt;p&gt;This real photo postcard by Easter Studio,  Eskridge, Kansas, shows the destruction wrought by a 1913 fire which destroyed nine of the twelve buildings on the west side of the 100 block of Main Street of Eskridge. The same section of this block had been destroyed 23 years earlier in an 1890 fire which swept down the street.  Photo courtesy the Dean Dunn collection. &lt;\/p&gt;\n\" data-large-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-street-fire-1913-dunn.jpg?fit=1024%2C638&amp;ssl=1\" data-id=\"475\" src=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/main-street-fire-1913-dunn.jpg?resize=1800%2C1121&#038;ssl=1\" alt=\"1913 Fire on Main Street, Eskridge, Kansas\" class=\"wp-image-475\"\/><\/a><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">This real photo postcard by Easter Studio,  Eskridge, Kansas, shows the destruction wrought by a 1913 fire which destroyed nine of the twelve buildings on the west side of the 100 block of Main Street of Eskridge. The same section of this block had been destroyed 23 years earlier in an 1890 fire which swept down the street.  Photo courtesy the Dean Dunn collection. <\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image size-large\"><a href=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/tornado-christian-church-a.jpg?ssl=1\"><img data-recalc-dims=\"1\" loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"1800\" height=\"1245\" data-attachment-id=\"476\" data-permalink=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/?attachment_id=476\" data-orig-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/tornado-christian-church-a.jpg?fit=1800%2C1245&amp;ssl=1\" data-orig-size=\"1800,1245\" data-comments-opened=\"1\" data-image-meta=\"{&quot;aperture&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;credit&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;camera&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;caption&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;created_timestamp&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;copyright&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;focal_length&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;iso&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;shutter_speed&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;title&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;orientation&quot;:&quot;1&quot;}\" data-image-title=\"Christian Church Destroyed by Tornado &amp;#8211; 1911\" data-image-description=\"\" data-image-caption=\"&lt;p&gt;This cabinet card, dated 1911, shows the Eskridge, Kansas Christian Church after it was destroyed by a tornado. Many houses and buildings, including the Eskridge Public School, located across the street from this church, were also destroyed. &lt;\/p&gt;\n\" data-large-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/tornado-christian-church-a.jpg?fit=1024%2C708&amp;ssl=1\" data-id=\"476\" src=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/tornado-christian-church-a.jpg?resize=1800%2C1245&#038;ssl=1\" alt=\"Christian Church Destroyed by Tornado - 1911\" class=\"wp-image-476\"\/><\/a><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">This cabinet card, dated 1911, shows the Eskridge, Kansas Christian Church after it was destroyed by a tornado. Many houses and buildings, including the Eskridge Public School, located across the street from this church, were also destroyed. \n<\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image size-large\"><a href=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/trusler-hdw349.jpg?ssl=1\"><img data-recalc-dims=\"1\" loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"1800\" height=\"1227\" data-attachment-id=\"477\" data-permalink=\"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/?attachment_id=477\" data-orig-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/trusler-hdw349.jpg?fit=1800%2C1227&amp;ssl=1\" data-orig-size=\"1800,1227\" data-comments-opened=\"1\" data-image-meta=\"{&quot;aperture&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;credit&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;camera&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;caption&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;created_timestamp&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;copyright&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;focal_length&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;iso&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;shutter_speed&quot;:&quot;0&quot;,&quot;title&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot;orientation&quot;:&quot;1&quot;}\" data-image-title=\"Trusler Hardware Store, 119 South Main Street, Eskridge, Kansas\" data-image-description=\"\" data-image-caption=\"&lt;p&gt;The Trusler hardware store, seen in this 1910\u2019s photo, was one of the first buildings constructed in 1880 in the new town of Eskridge, Kansas. Twice, massive fires swept the 100 block of Main Street, both times stopping at the Trusler building, leaving it and the two buildings to the south unharmed. Photo courtesy the Dean Dunn collection. &lt;\/p&gt;\n\" data-large-file=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/trusler-hdw349.jpg?fit=1024%2C698&amp;ssl=1\" data-id=\"477\" src=\"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/trusler-hdw349.jpg?resize=1800%2C1227&#038;ssl=1\" alt=\"Trusler Hardware Store, 119 South Main Street, Eskridge, Kansas\" class=\"wp-image-477\"\/><\/a><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">The Trusler hardware store, seen in this 1910\u2019s photo, was one of the first buildings constructed in 1880 in the new town of Eskridge, Kansas. Twice, massive fires swept the 100 block of Main Street, both times stopping at the Trusler building, leaving it and the two buildings to the south unharmed. Photo courtesy the Dean Dunn collection. <\/figcaption><\/figure>\n<\/figure>\n\n\n\n<hr class=\"wp-block-separator has-alpha-channel-opacity\"\/>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">&nbsp;<\/p>\n","protected":false},"excerpt":{"rendered":"<p>Eskridge, Kansas was founded in 1869 by Colonel Ephraim. H. Sanford who platted the town built on the rolling prairie of Wilmington Township. Sanford\u2019s town was located at \u201cthe Corners\u201d, an intersection Bronc Rider Road and Eight Mile Road, just about a mile east of the current downtown. Sanford was an accomplished criminal attorney, and [&hellip;]<\/p>\n","protected":false},"author":101704399,"featured_media":460,"comment_status":"closed","ping_status":"open","sticky":true,"template":"","format":"standard","meta":{"_coblocks_attr":"","_coblocks_dimensions":"","_coblocks_responsive_height":"","_coblocks_accordion_ie_support":"","advanced_seo_description":"","jetpack_seo_html_title":"","jetpack_seo_noindex":false,"jetpack_seo_schema_type":"","_jetpack_newsletter_access":"","_jetpack_dont_email_post_to_subs":false,"_jetpack_newsletter_tier_id":0,"_jetpack_memberships_contains_paywalled_content":false,"_wpcom_ai_launchpad_first_post":false,"_jetpack_feature_clip_id":0,"_jetpack_memberships_contains_paid_content":false,"footnotes":"","jetpack_publicize_message":"{title}\n\n{excerpt}\n\n{url}","jetpack_publicize_feature_enabled":true,"jetpack_social_post_already_shared":false,"jetpack_social_options":{"image_generator_settings":{"template":"highway","default_image_id":0,"font":"","enabled":false},"version":2},"_wpas_customize_per_network":false,"jetpack_post_was_ever_published":false},"categories":[12165,774433137,785536,1151],"tags":[3263,1338922,544795958],"class_list":["post-454","post","type-post","status-publish","format-standard","has-post-thumbnail","hentry","category-early-history","category-gallery","category-museum-blog","category-photographs","tag-gallery","tag-historic-photos","tag-wabaunsee-communities"],"jetpack_publicize_connections":[],"jetpack_likes_enabled":true,"jetpack_sharing_enabled":true,"jetpack_shortlink":"https:\/\/wp.me\/s7hzqh-eskridge","jetpack-related-posts":[],"jetpack_featured_media_url":"https:\/\/i0.wp.com\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/wp-content\/uploads\/2016\/10\/eskridge-labor-day-rodeo-19566-widau.jpg?fit=1800%2C1129&ssl=1","_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/index.php?rest_route=\/wp\/v2\/posts\/454","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/index.php?rest_route=\/wp\/v2\/posts"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/index.php?rest_route=\/wp\/v2\/types\/post"}],"author":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/index.php?rest_route=\/wp\/v2\/users\/101704399"}],"replies":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/index.php?rest_route=%2Fwp%2Fv2%2Fcomments&post=454"}],"version-history":[{"count":5,"href":"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/index.php?rest_route=\/wp\/v2\/posts\/454\/revisions"}],"predecessor-version":[{"id":9551,"href":"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/index.php?rest_route=\/wp\/v2\/posts\/454\/revisions\/9551"}],"wp:featuredmedia":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/index.php?rest_route=\/wp\/v2\/media\/460"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/index.php?rest_route=%2Fwp%2Fv2%2Fmedia&parent=454"}],"wp:term":[{"taxonomy":"category","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/index.php?rest_route=%2Fwp%2Fv2%2Fcategories&post=454"},{"taxonomy":"post_tag","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/wabaunseecomuseum.org\/index.php?rest_route=%2Fwp%2Fv2%2Ftags&post=454"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}