August Zeckser and his crew constructed the St. John Lutheran School in the summer of 1890 and are seen here with a group of onlookers. The masonry work for the new building cost $895.60. Photo Courtesy St. John Lutheran Church.
The new St. John Lutheran Church was under construction when this 1908 real photo postcard image was taken. Notice that the windows had not been installed, nor the spires along the roofline. Photo Courtesy St. John Lutheran Church.
The Evangelical Church was dedicated on May 14, 1882. The church was originally built without a bell tower which was added in 1899.
Construction began on the Kratzer Brothers’ Mercantile at Volland, Kansas in 1912 and the store opened for business in October of 1913. A mason is seen here, standing in front of the brick framework of the store.
In this 1904 photograph, A.E. Forinash, Clyde Forinash, Frank Weber, and Charlie Funk are seen constructing a bridge over Antelope Creek, north of Alma. This crew constructed over 70 bridges for Wabaunsee County.
The new bridge over Mill Creek on Vera Road was nearing completion but still lacked the approaches when this photograph was taken.
A bridge-building crew working on a bridge spanning the Kansas River north of Maple Hill stand atop the structure. Notice that the approach at the far left is unfinished.
Franz Schilling and his crew constructed the Sacred Heart School in Newbury in 1905
Few things have changed more in our lives than construction techniques for buildings and bridges. These photographs capture the construction of Wabaunsee County’s infrastructure, including the building of commercial buildings, churches, schools and bridges.